Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Books at Work

Here's a list of the books that I have on my desk at work. Why am I sharing this? Well, I'm not really sure, but I thought it was an interesting mix of reading material for those boring lunch times...

Dale Carnegie's Lifetime Plan for Success
This is actually two books in one: "How to Win Friends and Influence People", and "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living." I've never read all the way through the second half of the book, but I highly recommend reading "How to Win Friends and Influence People." It's a nice common sense approach to treating people correctly.

Foundations of Financial Management
Ummm...yeah. This is an old textbook from my college days. It's basically about business finance. I use it as a reference when people around me at work are talking about money and I don't understand them.

Essentials of Organizational Behavior
Another leftover college textbook. This one is an interesting read about organizations, how they function, roles people play, etc... Haven't opened this one in a while.

Guide to Financial Independence
Common sense approach to responsible financial investing. It covers the basics of investing, which is especially nice for when you're sitting down with a financial adviser. Now you know what all those words mean.

The Book of Mormon and the Constitution
H. Verlan Anderson's work that essentially breaks down the relationship that exists between principles in the Book of Mormon and principles in the Constitution. He collaborated extensively with Ezra Taft Benson in his work, and the main theme is one echoed by President Benson often: the Book of Mormon was written for our day.

Good to Great
Borrowed this one from my boss, and never gave it back. Although I suppose he could come take it back anytime he wanted... Anyway, it's a research book about corporations that make the leap from "good to great." What made it possible. Jim Collins and his team develop a theory revolving around some key principles, my favorite being this: get the right people on the bus, then decide where to drive it.

The Book of Mormon
My oldest copy, the one I used throughout my seminary years. It's a little worse for wear at the moment, mainly because it has survived two floods.

The Constitution of the United States
Book form of the text of the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and Articles of Confederation. Everyone should actually sit down and read our Constitution at least once in their adult life.

That's about it. Well, actually I have our current priesthood manual (Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith) with me today as well, but that's because I'm preparing a lesson for this Sunday. It's not usually here.

3 comments:

benrobb said...

Clearly, you have too much spare time while you're sitting at your desk.

Becki said...

did you minor in business too?! some of those books sound like their from classes i'm going to take next semester

Matt said...

@Ben--I never said I read them all. I mean, I have at one point or another, but hardly all the time. This is just in case someone at work happens to read this post... I AM NOT READING RIGHT NOW!

@Becki--I did not. Well, not really. I decided that I would, and did all the research to find out what classes I would need to take. I took most of them before I ever actually declared my minor, and by the time I went in to declare, they changed the requirements and I would have had to take several more classes. I wasn't up to another semester, so I didn't ever declare a minor. I might as well have, seeing as I took most of the classes anyway.